Fourteen-year-old Chi-yin Cheng's poster was judged first in the ages 14-18 category.
Since 1989, the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) has sponsored the International Aviation Art Contest to challenge young people to illustrate the importance of aviation through art. TxDOT’s Aviation Division hosts the contest at the state level.
In the 2017 Texas contest, thirteen students ages 8 to 18 were named winners. Entries were judged in three categories, according to age and for creative use of the theme in relation to the aviation world.
All told, 452 students from 25 schools submitted entries in the Texas challenge of the International Aviation Art Contest.
The 2017 contest theme was “Beyond the Clouds.” Below are the Texas winners and links to their entries.
- First: Canon Taylor, 8, AP Beutel Elementary, Lake Jackson
- Second: Audrey Freitag, 8, Henderson Elementary, San Antonio
- Third: Lilly Elsakka, 8, West Foundation, Wichita Falls
- Honorable Mention: Jaston Drinkard, 9, Jackson Roosevelt Elementary, Port Lavaca
- First: Kelly Xu, 13, Travis MS, Port Lavaca
- Second: Adam Roth, 10, White Rock Montessori, Dallas
- Third: Sreeniketan Sai Senapathi, 13, Katy
- Honorable Mentions: Alexis Puryear, 13, Sibyl’s School of Art, Wheeler; Tess Braddock, 12, Sibyl’s School of Art, Wheeler
- First: Chi-yin Cheng, 14, Travis MS, Port Lavaca
- Second: Linda Palominos, 17, Rio Hondo HS, Rio Hondo
- Third: Adriana Gonzalez-Olvera, 18, Rio Hondo HS, Rio Hondo
- Honorable Mentions: Shirley Yu, 15, Jasper HS, Plano