Guardrail work around SL 287 in Lufkin will continue next week with delays and lane closures, but many holiday travelers will not see contractors out on Monday or Tuesday to allow for a smooth traffic flow.
Beginning Wednesday, workers will continue replacing and upgrading guardrail on the Lufkin loop, with work continuing on the Atkinson Drive overpass. Workers will also be located at the Chestnut Drive overpass and the intersection of Tulane Drive. Drivers can expect shoulder and lane closures during work hours at all locations. In addition, the U-turns at Tulane Drive and SL 287 could be closed as work is performed there.
Other scheduled work Wednesday through Friday in the nine-county Lufkin District includes:
- US 59: Crews will work in the northbound lanes to patch base failures on this project designed to resurface existing pavement from the Angelina River Bridge to .5 mile north of FM 2021. Alternating lane closures expected.
- BU 69: Workers will be upgrading the traffic signal at FM 58 in Lufkin from wire to signal poles that include pedestrian elements. The project will include a mill and inlay operation and hot mix treatment scheduled this week.
- FM 343: Workers continue to prime the roadway, place flex base and place cement treatment on a project designed to reconstruct and widen pavement from the Cherokee County line to FM 225.
- FM 1087: Work on driveway culverts and cross structures is scheduled on this project designed to enhance safety from US 259 to FM 95.
- FM 1878: Abutments and columns are being constructed at LaNana Creek as work progresses to replace the bridge and approaches.
- FM 2713: Crews are scheduled to repair road base from SH 7 to FM 2112.
- FM 415: Substructure work is complete and work is scheduled to prepare to pour the new bridge deck at Bear Bayou.
- FM 417: Crews continue to pulverize the road, place flex base and cement treat the roadway on this project designed to reconstruct and widen the pavement from SH 87 to FM 139.
- CR 4760: Clearing work has begun and demolition of the old bridge is scheduled this week at the tributary of the Attoyac Bayou.
- CR 4256: The new bridge is complete and bridge railing work continues at the Flat Fork Creek tributary.
- CR 4020: Bridge approach and guardrail work continues at Bear Bayou. Columns are being constructed for the bridge on the Toledo Bend Reservoir access road.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- US 96: Construction of the southbound lanes is complete and surface applications are scheduled. A seal coat application is scheduled for northbound lanes. Lane closures are scheduled on the project that is designed to add passing lanes and reconstruct pavement from the Shelby County line to FM 3451.
- SH 21: Drill shafts are complete for both bridges and the substructure of Venado Creek and Perkins Creek is under construction. Embankment is being placed. Cement treatment of the approaches is underway. Beams have also been set at Perkins Creek.
- FM 705: Work will continue to safety treat fixed objects from SH 147 to 2.5 miles south of FM 83.
- US 59: Crews will work on shoulders to upgrade metal guard fencing north of Corrigan to the Neches River Bridge.
- US 59: Mill and inlay work is scheduled near the Trinity River Bridge. Daily lane closures are planned.
- FM 356: Traffic has been moved to the detour that is designed to reconstruct and widen pavement with a two-way continuous left turn lane and 10-foot shoulders from 1.1 miles north of US 190 to US 190. Daily lane closures are expected.
- Old Bering Road: Approaches and railings are under construction on a project designed to remove and replace the bridge and approaches at Blue Branch.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59: Crews are completing earthwork in the northbound main lanes and paving is continuing that will reconstruct main lanes and add frontage roads just south of the Union Pacific Railroad in Shepherd to just north of FM 2914.
- US 190: Work is planned to safety treat fixed objects in various areas and replace metal beam guard fence from the Walker County line to the Polk County line.
- FM 1127: Work continues to replace culverts on a project designed to apply safety end treatments from US 59 to the end of pavement. Be alert for lane closures.
- SH 21 East: Work will continue to install driveway culverts on this project designed to safety treat fixed objects from just south of SL 304 to 2.5 miles south of FM 1733. Daily lane and shoulder closures expected.
- SH 21 West: Crews are scheduled to remove concrete and reconstruct eastbound main lanes on this construction project designed to reconstruct pavement and add passing lanes from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7. Daily detours and lane closures expected.
- SH 21 East: Work to level up pavement in various locations will continue from FM 3187 to FM 227.
- FM 3016: Sealcoat treatments are scheduled to continue from FM 228 to FM 227 East.
- FM 3151: Crews will begin to prime the roadway on a project designed to reconstruct and widen the pavement from FM 1280 to FM 230.
- SL 304: Crews will work to spot seal and repair road base from SH 7 East to SH 21 East.
- US 287: Crews are cement treating the roadway at the intersection of SH 94 and working on cross culverts and driveways from SH 94 to Harrison Avenue in the city of Groveton on this project designed to reconstruct the pavement. Daily alternating lane closures are expected. The exit ramp from SH 94 East to US 287 South will be closed daily.